Lately I have had a slowly unfurling obsession with…candles. Yes, anti-climatic –but candles. So plain and wholesome. Though to be specific, exquisitely scented soy-candles.
I never knew how much they contributed to one’s well-being (aesthetic pleasure aside, the decorative properties of curated glassware an extra). I have now realised –seen the light so to speak –of something that I have usually overlooked and judged as a superfluous ‘luxury’.
Candles are now indispensable for personal comfort, in manifesting that thing intangible, delicate and rare: ambience.
An ether in which my soul can nestle.
What I am after in a scent is feeling of:
- Being settled on a couch by the fireplace, with mulled wine, a book in hand and a furry monster on my lap.
- A smokey jazz club at 2am.
- Browsing a hidden bookstore named after a Russian poet.
- Sleeping in a patch of sun streaming down on one’s bed.
- Honey in my tea.
- The warmth in being held.
Therefore, I love warm, spicy and sensual scents. Things that are comforting and embracing.